Thursday, May 19, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: The Other Guys

{photo credit: http://www.comingsoon.net}

I don't really know why I was moved to write a movie review on this blog, but I thought this one was worth mentioning (and now that I think about it, I have a few other movie review ideas...)

Brandon and I watched this on Sunday after the race. I fell asleep about halfway through because I was so beat. I re-watched it the next day so I could watch the end and Brandon fell asleep about halfway through. Gosh, we are such old people. 

Some of my favorite movies and TV-shows to watch involved silly (and awkward) humor a la The Office. I wouldn't put The Other Guys on my all-time-favorites list, but it had a bunch of good one-liners. In a home where the movie quote game is played 24 hours a day, one-liners reign supreme. Sometimes Brandon and I have to watch a movie a few times in a row so we can memorize the good quotes. 


The movie is about two detectives living in the shadows of "real cops" doing "real police work", while they are glued to their desks doing paperwork. They spend the whole movie working on their big break by busting a ponzi-scheme type scandal of some big name investors. The movie pokes fun with the juxtaposition of the excesses of the unregulated financial sector and the excesses of the buddy cop movie. Mark Wahlberg's character is kind of an a-hole while Will Ferrell plays his usual quirky, awkward, not-purposely-funny-guy. 

I was almost less interested in the actual plot than just watching the silliness unfold. I could watch Will Ferrel play just about any character and enjoy it (except his new character on The Office...not crazy about that one).  Regardless, the movie got a few belly laughs out of me, which is my important take home point. It got a 78% on the rottontomatoes.com Tomatometer, which is a good enough reason for me to watch it. It's definitely a movie I'd watch again.

Also, it was a good post-run movie, because it didn't take a lot of thought or attention to follow. (Obviously...I fell asleep). 

My favorite quote? Will Ferrell:

"aaaaargghh!! How do they walk away in movies without flinching when it explodes behind them?? There's no way! The movie industry is completely irresponsible for the way they portray explosions!"

My rating? I'd give it 3.5 wooden guns out of 5.

You'll get it when you watch the movie :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...