Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How to Make and Eat a Poached Egg


Here's my quick how-to for today: How to Make and Eat a Poached Egg. Poached eggs are a staple breakfast in my family, and sometimes I wake up absolutely craving them. It brings back memories of being at my grandparents' house in New Jersey, as soon as I got up I would get some Italian bread, toasted with butter, plopped down in front of me and 2 minutes later a poached egg would be plopped (gently of course) down on top of the toast! Poaching as egg is really simple, but it's something that always intimidated me until my dad showed me how to do it.

What you'll need:
  • 1 saucepan (make sure it's big enough to hold all your eggs without them touching each other)
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 2 eggs (or however many you want to eat)
  • 2 slices of toast
  • a slotted spoon


Method:
  • Fill the saucepan almost to the top with water and put your teaspoon of vinegar in the water. Bring to a boil.
  • When water is boiling rapidly, crack open your eggs and drop them into the water. The vinegar should help them hold together. The rolling boil helps to keep the eggs from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  • Boil eggs for 2-3 minutes (I like to boil mine for a shorter time so the yolk stays runnier, the longer you cook, the harder the yolk will get). If the pan starts to overflow, just turn down the heat. 
  • Remove eggs from saucepan with a slotted spoon and drain any water from them.
  • Place eggs on top of toast. My preferred method of eating is to chop up the eggs so the yolks run all over the place (see the pictures) and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on top of them. You can eat them like "dunky eggs" too, by dunking slices of toast in the yolk to soak up all of that egg-y deliciousness. However you choose to eat them, enjoy each and every bite!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...