Monday, December 27, 2010

ordinary joy

27 December 2010 Ordinary joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?


About 5 months ago, a very good friend of mine gave me some very good advice. Happier than I'd been in months, I caught him up on my life, my new love, and all of the joy I continuously found in ordinary, everyday experiences. Eddie told me to hold onto those feelings; to take mental snapshots so I could always revisit that happiness, even when it gets lost.


Of the many mental snapshots I took this past summer, one stands out in my head. 


There is a short biking/running trail that follows the train tracks about two miles from my home in South Euclid. There was an afternoon this summer when Brandon and I suited up for our run (we were training for a half marathon) and ran out to catch a mile or so on that fun little trail. Heading east, the sun was setting behind us and casting a long shadow across the trail.


Click!


My mental snapshot was seeing our shadows run together down the trail that day. Something I love with someone I love. It's something we do several times a week, but I can always go back to that run to relive that joy. Even when it's snowing. Even when it's cold. Even when it's dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...