Friday, January 7, 2011

Fun Things Friday + Argentine Lentil Stew

First, I'm slacking on procrastinating lately and have only found a few fun things to share with you this week. My thoughts are totally and completely on my upcoming vacation on Maui to visit my family. It's been two years since I've been home, so I'm waaaay overdue for some Hawaiian sun, beaches and FAMILY. I won't be going completely radio (uh, er...internet) silent but I will have a few people guest posting as well.

So on this lovely snowy Friday, I leave you with a few fun things, and a recipe re-post (I posted it on my old blog forever ago, so now you can have it here on PL&B!)


Just in case you wanted to let someone know how awesome they are


this video is why I want to be a high school math teacher:
well, that and the best pickup line ever:
"Can I be your derivative?....So I can be tangent to your curves!"

and now, a recipe for Argentine Lentil Stew
from allrecipes.com 

  • ingredients: 
  • 1 cup dry lentils
  • 1 quart water
  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon
  • 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 medium apple - peeled, cored and diced
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup barbeque sauce (or a mixture of ketchup and worchestershire sauce)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste

  • method:
  • Place the lentils and water in a large pot, and mix in the vegetable bouillon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.

  • Stir the tomatoes, onion, carrot, apple, peas, garlic, olive oil, barbecue sauce, and paprika into the pot. Continue to simmer 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to serve.



  • My thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious this soup was!! First of all, I NEVER have good luck with lentils, but I diligently cooked them long enough this time and it worked out alright! 

  • And what's with the apples and the barbecue sauce?!? It gave the soup a sweet and savory flavor. It was delicious and packs a nutritional punch. Best of all, it's incredibly easy! Except for lentil cooking time you basically just throw everything in a pot and go.

  • On another note, this soup is best enjoyed with a glass of my Gascon Malbec (my favorite!!)

  • What is your go-to wine for dinner? And are there any weird ingredients you've included in a recipe that just made the dish? I'd love to hear about them!

  • Peace, Love & Bagels,
  • Becca (blogger is driving me nuts today and won't place any picture where I want them to go, so no fun signature to close today's post [sadface])



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...