Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year Guacamole y Fruta

Hauoli Makahiki Hou (happy new year!)

Before I get to the best guacamole recipe ever, I want to take a second to talk about my resolutions this year. Normally, I am in the camp of resolving not to resolve but this year there are two things (albeit superficial things) that I want to bring into my new year.

  1. Floss (pretty self explanatory, the world would be a better place if everyone flossed everyday)
  2. Give up sweets for 40 days. This one is a little silly. I don't generally buy into not "letting" myself eat something, but my processed sugar intake has become alarming to me lately. Last year, I gave up cereal for lent (which, at the time, my cereal intake was also rather alarming). So, 40 days and I kicked my cereal habit. I still eat cereal, but I no longer put down an entire box in one sitting. I figure taking a 40 day hiatus from desserts will help me do the same thing, just continue to enjoy them in moderation.
Now, the most important guacamole recipe you'll get all year. Brandon and I made this (among many other NYE appetizers to enjoy with our bottle of wine) and had it with blue corn chips. It quickly became the best guacamole I've ever had...and I know guacamole!

Guacamole y Fruta
inspired by this from the New York Times
make about a cup and a half of delicious guac

ingredients:
1 1/2 ripe avocados
1/4 sweet onion, chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno (depending on how spicy you want it)
1/2 apple chopped, any type
seed from half a pomegranate
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salt, to taste

method:
Mash the avocado and garlic together until you get your desired guac consistency
Add all of the other ingredients and mix thoroughly
Enjoy with your favorite chips!


What are your favorite New Year's Eve appetizers? Are you making any notable resolutions for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...