Monday, February 28, 2011

Marathon Monday: Training Week #8

So long, warm weather. Last week we had to do a little mixing and matching of our run days:

Monday - 48 minute run turned rest day. Problem #1: I broke one of my Yaktrax. Problem #2: snowing/icing all day made the road/sidewalk conditions unsafe. Problem #3: I hate treadmills. So we decided to do this run some other time during the week.

Tuesday - 7 mi pace. This was an awesome run, paired with a few sets of push-ups, sit-ups and squats. Our longest tempo run yet! We warmed up for a mile and ran the next 6 miles at about a 9:30 pace. It was so cold, but I felt strong. These tempo runs are becoming one of my favorites, because they are very telling of how strong we are getting. About a third of the way through our training, I am feeling very confident, especially after tempo runs.

Wednesday - 48 minutes run 4, walk 2. Lunchtime run, in the sun! I don't necessarily like running at lunch from work, because that either means running laps around the parking lot (boring and more importantly weird - my colleagues already think I'm nuts) or running for about half a mile down Route 18. The speed limit is only 50 mph, but cars frequently drive 65 or 70 because it's a big long stretch of road. I chose running on 18, it turned out fine.

Thursday - 48 minutes run 4, walk 2. Again, running at lunch along route 18. The run actually felt a little better than yesterday, but I'm starting to become a bit concerned about my left calf/shin. My calf is ALWAYS very sore when I run, which has been the case sine our trip home to Maui. My shin has always been a problem child for me, but I'm trying not to end up with another stress fracture.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday - yoga and rest. We decided to take this weekend off because my shin has been hurting a bit. I want to nip this before it becomes a bigger issue. No stress fractures this time around!! Resting now is the best way for me to just listen to my body, and let myself heal before a shin splint turns into a stress fracture.

Here's what is coming up this week:




We will be doing our long run on Friday instead of Saturday, because we're taking a trip to Hoboken, NJ for the weekend. Parade Day is Hoboken's day to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and not compete with the New York City St. Patty's Day parade. It's basically the happiest day of the year; lots of green bagels, green beer and Gio's pizza! It's also become a quasi-reunion for my friends from college...and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it. Even if that means running 13 miles and then driving 7.5 hours to Jersey.

Peace, Love & Bagels,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...