Monday, April 4, 2011

Marathon Monday: Training Week #13

This was a "take it easy" week for us - well, okay, minus the 16 mile run on Saturday. We decided to completely forgo our tempo run on Thursday so we could just REST, which turned out to be an excellent idea. We rested on Friday as well, since it was a Cleveland holiday that day and obviously had to attend the Tribe home opener!

It basically amount to us running an easy 4 miler on Tuesday and our long 16 miler on Saturday.

16 miles. Phew. I haven't done that in two years! It was Brandon's longest run to date. I'm not going to say it wasn't tough. I think at some points it was tougher mentally than it was physically even. We tried something new also, instead of running 4 minutes on, 1 minute off (walking) the whole way, we started running the first three miles 1 mile on, 1 minute off. Then we switched to 4 on, 1 off for a mile. Then did another 3 miles in a 1 mile on, 1 minute off pattern. We switched back and forth between those two patterns the entire way, pretty much. I think that's probably how we'd like to run the actual race; 1 mile on, 1 minute off. It's a good way to keep myself from starting off too big and too fast and then dying at the end...which is exactly what I did in my last marathon. I'm not trying to PR, I'm not trying to break a certain time, I'm just running to run and to finish. Finishing with a smile on my face is my goal...and hopefully Brandon will too!!

This week's schedule is looking like this:






If the weather holds out, we'll be running our 4 miler today (mind you, it's 70 degrees and stormy!) but the best part of that is that we get to try out our new Vibram Five Fingers!

In honor of spring, and Brandon's 28th birthday, we got ourselves [matching] Bikilas. So hopefully by this afternoon the rain and lightning and thunder will have let up a little so we can spend a mile or so in these beauties during our nice easy run! I am SO looking forward to bringing these into my shoe rotation!

...which is currently at five different pairs of shoes. Ha!

I'm interested to know...Do you wear vibrams (or no shoes) running? What do you think about barefoot running?


Happy Stormy Monday,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...