Monday, June 6, 2011

Race Recap: University Heights Memorial Day Run

Happy Monday my lovelies! Thank you for understand I am back in action here and ready with a whole bunch of good posts planned and some very exciting news...

I got a new baby!!

Not gonna lie, this camera is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I've had a few photo shoots with my dogs, my veggies, my meals and a tiny bit of Fireside. So you can look forward to much better quality pics on PL&B from now on...startinggggg now:


Brandon was my official race photographer last Monday since he couldn't run with me {insert life-sized sad face here} You know what that meant? More great racing photos! 


I think I found out on Thursday that there was a Memorial Day 4-miler in University Heights, starting and ending at JCU  (aka 3 minutes from my house). I signed Brandon and I up. Friday we went on a run in the morning and something in Brandon's foot popped right at the end of the run. We walked 3 more blocks home and Brandon was out of the race that Monday. Bummer.

{Just to quickly follow up on that, he's okay. No fracture...I'm almost positive a tendon just popped out of place and needed to pop back into place, which it did. We're getting back to running together tomorrow!}

On race day, it was about 90 degrees! I totally wasn't ready for that one. Regardless, Brandon and I walked with the pups (and my new camera) up to JCU so they could cheer me on at the finish. 

I started the race waaay too fast, because I figured four miles should just be no problem right? I could run it quickly and easily. Hmm. Yeah, about that...

Actually the beginning of the race was mostly downhill, so that helped me start really fast. BUT I got very hot very quickly and, as it is with hills, what goes down must come up. Plus, this was my first race without Brandon in a long time, so I was really missing him since I didn't have anyone to talk to. Plus, it was the first time I had run with my iPod in about a year...and it desperately needed a musical update! 

Needless to say, each consecutive mile was slower and slower. That's okay though, I finished averaging a 9 minute mile...so that is still wonderful for me.


Those are my splits. Haha, I definitely died. In my defense, there was a big hill at the end. 

And it was hot. 

The next two pictures look strikingly similar. We are definitely sisters!


I was so happy at the end of the race to see Brandon, Buck and Pele'! All my boys there to see me at the finish. I was happy with my time. I was hot, hot, hot! Aaaand it was a day off work! I couldn't have asked for a better Memorial Day. 

I know I'm a bit late to the game, but what did you do for MDW?

Happy Monday,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...