Friday, July 22, 2011

Baba Soup Recipe

I wanted to try to write this post on my new iPhone app, BlogPress, so I wouldn't have to email myself all the pictures from my phone then saving them off to my computer, then uploading them. Until I realized that it's difficult to insert bullets and numbering like I like to do for my recipes.

Fail.

I'll try an easier post to post from my phone.

What do you do with your veggie scraps? We mostly compost ours, and we are even getting coffee grinds from a local coffee shop to compost...but, that's completely besides the point. Did you know you can save those scraps to make your own veggie stock??

{aside: I just typed "vaggie stock" and giggled. INAPPROPRIATE!!}

Yep, veggie stock is actually really simple. Just freeze all your extra scraps - I keep them in a ziplock on my freezer door and just throw more in when I have them. When you're ready to make stock, toss the veggie scraps into a stockpot and fill with water. Let it simmer for an hour or so, then strain out the veggies and put all the stock into jars to freeze or can for later use. It makes a ton of good stock and it's cheaper and healthier than store bought!

Then, once you have your stock, you can use it to make Babaganoush Soup.


Babaganoush Soup
serves 3

prep time: 20 minutes + 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 large eggplant
  • 2 jalapenos
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 2 ½ cups vegetable stock
  • ¼ cup tahini
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 lemon


Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Slice your eggplant (don’t peel) and lay slices on a sheet tray lined with tin foil. Press paper towels on top of your eggplant slices and let sit for 20 minutes. When done, remove paper towels and dice eggplant. Spray foil with cooking spray and place eggplant back on, if you have room, throw the jalapenos on too. Sprinkle generously with salt and roast for 25 minutes, tossing occasionally.
  2. When the eggplant and peppers are done, let cool then gently rub off blackened pepper skin and chop up.
  3. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat then add the chopped onion. Saute for five minutes until soft then add the garlic. Saute for 30 more seconds.
  4. Add the stock, roasted diced eggplant and jalapenos. Stir in the spices and tahini. Bring to a boil then let simmer for a few minutes. Using an immersion blender or (carefully!) with a regular blender, puree your soup
  5. Ladle soup into bowls and finish with a squeeze of lemon.





How do you organize/upload pictures for your blog posts? How do you deal with pictures from two different cameras? (In my case, my Canon and my phone). 


Peace + Love,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...