Friday, September 2, 2011

Creamy Blackberry Oats


For the past couple of weeks, we have been getting blackberries in our CSA share, and they get sweeter and sweeter every week. I have to say, I have never been more enamored with blackberries!

I made this oatmeal for a lazy Sunday breakfast before we hit Debonne Vineyards for a winery tour and some liquid libations:

I was so happy with this creamy, berry-y breakfast that I immediately grabbed my camera. I haven't posted many recipes lately, let alone breakfast recipes. Shame on me, because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!!


Creamy Blackberry Oatmeal
serves 3, prep time 2 minutes, cook time 10 minutes

ingredients:
  • 1 ¾ cup milk
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1-2 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • blackberries

directions:
  1. Slowly bring the milk to a boil, make sure it doesn’t harden and stick to the sides of the pan.
  2. When the milk is boiling, add oats and cook until they’ve absorbed most of the liquid. I like to leave mine on the creamier/wetter side rather than letting them get too dry.
  3. Take off heat, mix in honey, vanilla and as many blackberries as you want.
  4. Top with a few extra berries and enjoy!
(yep, that's Buck's nose in the bottom left of this picture)



A few things to note, if you are averse to the idea of boiling milk or you want to tone down the creaminess of this recipe, you can do a mix of milk and water or sub out the milk for all water. I also think I could have sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on top and it would have been a great addition.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the REST of my blackberries!

What is your favorite blackberry recipe?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...