Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Best. Idea. EVER.


I have to hand this one to Crystal for her post on Friday, about using beer in your pancakes in honor of Cleveland Beer Week. Since reading her post last week, I had been absolutely dying to try it out.

Basically her instructions were replace the liquid in your pancake recipe with your favorite type of beer. She claimed that it would make your 'cakes fluffy and awesome.

Easy enough, right? Well, I typically suck at making pancakes. It might take more than just a beer to make my pancakes edible. More like a few shots of whiskey.

I found a very basic pancakes recipe, made a few substitutions and voila! Vegan Pumpkin Beercakes. (Well, it's vegan to me. I know they make specifically vegan beer, which I didn't use, but from what I know about the beermaking process, beer should always be vegan unless there are some unknown additives made from animal products.)

When I first tasted the batter, I got worried. It tasted like BEER (I know, shocking.) Seriously though, it was super bitter and I was really worried that I wasn't going to like the end product.

Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. The pancakes were fluffy, as promised, and DELICIOUS. Topped with a little apple butter and some Ohio maple syrup, I was pretty much in pancake heaven.

Breakfast. Reeeeeeemixed.



pumpkin beercakes
serves 4
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 15 minutes

ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (or all-purpose)
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 1/4 cups beer (I used Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale)
  • 1 flax egg
  • 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree

directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder,  and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, flax egg, maple syrup and pumpkin puree; mix until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...