Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Orange Chocolate Chip and Almond Anise Biscotti


Ladies and Gentlemen (drumroll, please), this is the third installment of Becca's Chrismukkah Cookie Fiesta! This one is a must have for holiday cookie giving: biscotti! Every year right around Thanksgiving is when I start urging my dad and step-mom to get to work and send me some of their biscotti. Ingrid makes an obscene amount each year to send to a few lucky recipients...but I always seem to have to remind them to make sure I'm on the "good" list. "No lumps of coal for me, just lots of biscotti, please!" My biscotti can't hold a candle to Ingrid's (hey! it's my first go at it!) but I tell ya, they're pretty freakin' delicious!

Don't worry, Dad and Ingrid...you've been good kids this year. Biscotti for all!!

I made one recipe into two: Orange Chocolate Chip and Almond Anise Biscotti. Anise is probably my favorite biscotti flavor of all time...in fact, I've been known to have eaten my bodyweight in anise biscotti when I go home for the holidays. Thankfully, I didn't actually manage to make enough cookies to equal my body weight, so that won't be happening this year. 


Mucho Delicious-o Biscotti
adapted from The Ivory Hut
Text highlighted in purple (except for cookie names) are steps that I accidentally forgot. They still turned out great!

ingredients:

Orange Chocolate Biscotti
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 whole orange (about 2 tablespoons)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (scant) sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
Anise Almond Biscotti
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon anise extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (scant) sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp aniseseeds
1 cup almonds, pecans, walnuts, toasted pistachios, mac nuts (or a combination of nuts)

directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Spread nuts in a single layer on baking sheet and toast until fragrant.
In a small bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla and orange zest (and in another, mix the eggs and anise for your other batch). In a larger bowl, mix the remaining ingredients except the choco chips/nuts. Stir the wet mixture into the dry, using a spoon first and then using your hands. The dough will be very sticky and tacky. Stir in the nuts/chips.
Flouring your hands and working surface, roll half of the dough into a 12-inch log. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat. Repeat with the remaining dough. Brush beaten egg over surface of dough, sprinkle with turbinado sugar or more crushed nuts.
Bake in the center position of the oven for about 50 minutes, until golden brown. Take the logs off the sheet and onto a cooling rack, let cool for about 5 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees and line another baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
Use a serrated knife to slice the logs into 1/2-inch thick slices. Return the slices to the baking sheets and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and almost crisp. Transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.




p.s. A special thank-you to Mama Minnaugh for sending Anthony back from Pittsburgh with the biggest Rubbermaid tupperware I've ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...