Thursday, December 16, 2010

Winter Workouts: the "I Don't Want To Leave The House" edition

Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running. -Sarah Condor 

Last night was the toughest winter run I've had this year. Not because it was the coldest (although it did feel like 10 degrees). Not because it was the most snowy. Not because it was the longest.






After working all day and spending 50 minutes in the car on the way home, drumming up the energy and motivation to actually leave the house was the toughest thing I had to accomplish all day. I kept telling myself that if I just get out the door, I would feel much better. But I felt frumpy, low on energy and full of sugar and just plain tired.


I came home angry at myself. Angry for eating far too many sweets at work. Angry for not making enough time for my yoga practice. Angry for not having enough time to go to the gym for strength training. Angry because between my commute and working, I feel like I'm wasting 11 hours of my day. Angry because it's freezing. Angry because it's dark. Angry because, at the same time my motivation to exercise wanes in the wintertime, my desire to eat lots and lots of unhealthy food flares.


... and Brandon even got me new gloves to keep my digits warm and toasty!!! 






It took me an hour to drag myself out the door and into the cold night air for what would end up being a run that made me feel immensely better (well, duh). Sometimes I just have so much self-doubt and disappointment running through me that it hinders me from even having the desire to make things better. That is something, for better or for worse, that I need to wash my hands of. I am strong. I am beautiful. I am balanced


....and even though I don't think I have to energy to make it out for a short, 3-mile run, I do...and I will feel amazing after I finish. I just have to buy into it, to believe in it and to draw motivation from it.




What do you do for motivation on days you just don't want to leave the house? What gets you excited for a winter workout? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...