Tuesday, February 22, 2011

DIY Circular Scarves

This is a great step in the right direction towards accomplishing my goal to create rather than consume. My favorite way to exercise that goal is to make gifts for others (like my homemade infused olive oil for the holidays).

This endeavor, in particular, was a gift for Brandon's sister, Tanja. She turned 30 on Valentine's Day this year, and since it's difficult to get reservations anywhere on V-day, we had her over for a birthday dinner at our place. Many cupcakes, cookies and chocolate covered strawberries were consumed that night and it was glorious!

Circular scarves seem to be all the rage right now:


Well, at least I bought one last year from my yoga studio and now I'm kicking myself because they take about five whole minutes to make. Oh, and not only is this working towards my "creating" goal, it also is helping me to de-clutter! These scarves is made out of t-shirts!

Lord knows I have enough of those to clothe a small army. 

All you need is a few t-shirts (preferably complementary colors...but feel free to choose whatever moves you). I used two t-shirts per scarf. Here is the process: 

  1. Cut shirts into strips, starting from the bottom of the shirt. It's easiest if you cut off the hem first, because it's sort of too thick to use...but feel free to make it into a doggie toy, that's what I'd do!
  2. Take all of your strips and stretch them out until they've doubled in diameter. To do this, I looped them around my feet and yanked with my hands (I didn't have any extra limbs to use to take pictures for this part of the process).
  3. Tie all the stretched strips of t-shirt together with (yet another) stretched strip. Loop it around a few times, so you've got some beef to hold the rest together. 
  4. Admire your handiwork. 

(cut like so)




What was your favorite homemade gift (given or received?)

Peace, Love & Bagels, 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...