Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hashbrowned Potato Pizza

What do Becca and Brandon do when the whole middle level in the fridge is empty? What anyone else would do, whip up a strange and fun new recipe idea. Hence, Hashbrowned Potato Pizza was born. I was lukewarm about it because I wanted the potatoes to be crispier and I wasn't sure that the idea of hashbrowns really went with the idea of pizza in my head.

That being said, I helped Brandon devour it after we cleaned our bathroom. Along with a Great Lakes Brewing Co's Conway's Irish Ale. Yum!

This isn't so much a recipe as it is a technique. If you have any tips for me on making crispier hashbrowns...please throw them at me!



Hashbrowned Potato Pizza [for two]

ingredients:
  • 2 medium sized red potatoes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • ¾ cup store-bought tomato sauce (remember, nothing in the fridge.)
  • 2 ounces muenster, shredded, from the farmer’s market (all grass fed and delicious!)
directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Shred potatoes with a cheese grater or your preferred shredding method
  3. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet. When skillet is hot, lay shredded taters across the bottom of the skillet in a thin layer. Mix potatoes every now and then to prevent burning, but let them get brown and crispy.
  4. When potatoes are done, form them into a flat, pizza-like shape (this can be done in the same cast iron skillet, or other oven safe pan - I used a small cookie sheet)
  5. Top potato pizza “crust” with tomato sauce and shredded muenster
  6. Put the pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is as melty as you want it and the crust gets a bit crispier. Enjoy!

W00t! w00t! My empty cast iron skillet! Apparently, this is the only picture I can upload right now (and I'm thinking I should stop tying up my office internet with large picture uploads) so I'll update with pictures later on!


What do you make for dinner when there is nothing left in the fridge?

Peace, Love & Bagels,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...