Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sedentary.

This story on NPR was alarming to me.

I don't consider myself to live a sedentary lifestyle, but apparently if you sit at a desk all day (I do), you may as well be.  I mean, I get it.

Though I would love nothing more, most of my day is not spent up and about. I sit.

and sit.

and sit some more.

I make a very concerted effort to live my life in an intentionally healthful way that will [hopefully] work against me ending up with any chronic diseases. If I do, that's simply what was in the cards for me...but I can at least give it my best effort right?

After hearing that story, I feel even more suffocated by the time I spend in my office.

I guess this post is just to remind myself, that I make decisions, each day, to make my life here at my desk more bearable, more healthy, more mindful. Here are five things I do to avoid a completely sedentary work-style...


  1. Sit on an exercise ball, instead of a chair. Ok, so I'm not totally convinced of the benefits of this, and I've heard it might not even be very good for you. Regardless, it's made me more comfortable than sitting in a chair all day, and that is what's most important to me. When I first started work, I would get back pain since I wasn't used to sitting in a chair all day long. The exercise ball has definitely helped that! 
  2. Walk a lap around the office every hour. I set an alarm on my computer (for you Google Chrome users, "Cool Clock" is a perfect extension for this) to go off every hour, which reminds me to get up and take a lap. Or do 10 push-ups. Or do a sun salutation. Whatever it is, it reminds me to do a micro workout and stay a teensy-weensy bit more active. 
  3. Drink lots of water, so I have to pee often. TMI? Don't care. This also forces me away from my desk.
  4. Take advantage of my lunch hour for a quick workout. I have been practicing a bit of lunchtime yoga (in the 3' x 6' box that is our shower room) to get my heart pumping a bit. I started it so I have time to fit in a little cross-training into my marathon training schedule, but I think I'm going to continue either lunchtime yoga practices or short runs, just to get my heart pumping in the middle of all the sitting I do. 
  5. Print at the printer that is on the other side of the office. This gives me another chance to move away from my desk, but it's also a good way to see other people on the way to the printer and socialize a little bit. It breaks up the monotony of my stare-at-a-computer-all-day work. Not gonna lie though, sometimes I get lazy and print to the printer that's 10 feet from my desk. You can't win 'em all!
Those are just a few of my thoughts to get moving more often. Since running several times a week isn't going to negate all the negative things that sitting for 8 hours straight can do to me, I just need to get away from my desk more often!

Now, I want to hear from you...What do you do to get out of your chair and move around a little while you're at work?

Peace, Love & Bagels,


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...