Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wineday Wednesday + a Tabouli Recipe

Ok, unfortunately, I have no wine reviews for you today, just a recipe.

I simply wanted to take this time to recap my alcohol/sweets hiatus during Lent and tell you about where I'm taking it from here.

In all honesty, I stopped "giving up" alcohol and sweets for Lent about a week and a half early. I didn't make the decision because I wanted to get toasty at a family wedding, or at the Easter dinner that was on Saturday instead of Sunday. I did it because I felt that I found what I wanted in giving it all up in the first place.

I didn't think restricting any more was necessary. I've always used Lent as a way to take a step back from my habits and learn that I can live without them. In the words of Dan Millman (from The Way of the Peaceful Warrior); “Habit is the problem. All you need to do is be conscious about your choices and be responsible for your actions.” 


Well, there way a day a few weeks ago where I thought 'gee, I just want a cookie right now...why I am not allowing myself to have one?' Overindulging was my habit but I felt like I had it pretty much under control before Lent was over. 


Oh, and something else that really struck me when I was reading The Peaceful Warrior...spontaneity. So, hell. I ate a damn cookie.


And then I had a beer. (by the by, let me take this moment to apologize to anyone who finds it annoying that I began a sentence with "and")


So, where I'm at now? We've been [trying desperately] to brew our own beer. I am also making my own cookies. I'm enjoying a dessert every now and again. I enjoy a beer or a glass of wine every so often. Sometimes I feel like it, sometimes I don't. I am intentional about my choices and responsible for my actions.

Ok, gee whiz.

Time for that recipe!




millet tabouli

serves 4-6
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 20 minutes

ingredients:
  • 1 cup millet
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1 cup chopped parsley (any type)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt, pepper and oregano to taste

directions:
  • Put 1 cup of millet and 2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes (or until all the water has been absorbed by the millet)
  • When millet is done cooking, mix with all other ingredients in medium sized mixing bowl. Season with salt, pepper and oregano to taste

How did lent go for you? What did you learn from it?

    Peace, Love & Bagels,

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...