Wednesday, June 29, 2011

P2P Training


I just realized that since I announced that I was going to ride the Bike MS Pedal to the Point ride, I haven't once updated you on my training.

That's because there really hasn't been much of it. I was doing good with getting on my bike for a while, but then life kind of got in the way. And, as is always the case when I don't have a plan, exercising got pushed to the back burner.

So, according to my Garmin, I've ridden 42.5 miles in the last 30 days. Considering I'm planning to do 150 miles in two days...that seems a little under par.


Also, apparently my average speed was 6.7 mph. Wow, I'm slow. 


I think I'm having a tough time with this for a few reasons:

  1. This is my first summer since I moved to Ohio not training for a big (marathon or half) RUNNING race
  2. I don't want to set an actual training plan out...I want to just roll with it
Sometimes for me not having a plan is a sure path to not training, but I'm also finding myself wanting to do more running than anything else, even without training. I kept finding running races that I want to do and it finally occurred to me, that we should probably be focusing more on doing bike tours for training...not running.

Wait, running = cross training??? That's new. 

Ok, so the fact that my mom is coming into town and we're trying to get the upstairs of our house painted has a lot to do with training taking a back burner for the last couple of weeks. So this week I've taken a whole new approach.

Lunch time training!

I know I only have an hour at lunch to get in a workout, so it's going to have to be a quality one. Lucky for me, I work in beautiful, hilly Medina. It's a great place to ride! Here is my attempt at putting together a {very} loose training schedule for the next two weeks:


The '27 miles' next Monday is a ride in Medina that we're going to do. Friday, I'm hoping to get my mom out for a walk with the dogs, as she's not much of a runner, plus I have plans with a coworker at lunch to go buy some herbs to grow in the office so we can have fresh cilantro with our lunches!

After the fourth, I anticipate mostly running and yoga, because I'll be traveling to L.A. and Chicago. I'm not going to make any set "plans" to run though, we're just going to go with the flow and see what happens. At this point, I just don't want training to consume my life so it's going to continue to be a "play it by ear" "go with the flow" sort of thing. Expect to see some ride recaps instead of race recaps coming up though!

Do you prefer training with or without a training plan? How the hell do you train for a 150 mile ride??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...