Friday, September 16, 2011

Easy Peasy Vegetarian

There have been a few times in the last year or so that my mom has bought up some of her concerns about becoming a vegetarian. She has tried it a couple of times only to go back to her roasted chicken dinners claiming that "being a vegetarian is just too hard."

I have two responses to that.

First, not eating meat is not for everyone. You have to do what feels right for you. I didn't even mean to stop eating meat purposely - it's just what fit into my life at the time. It changes from day to day for me, but is mostly based on karma, intention and knowing my food source (you can read all about it here). That being said, you should become a vegetarian for reasons that make it right for you...regardless of what the reason is. There is no sense trying to force it either. If it's not something that is fun or enjoyable, then why do it?

My second thought is on cooking vegetarian. It's not as hard as you think. For starters, there are literally a ton of resources online for easy meat-free cooking.

But for those of you who don't want to spend the time looking those recipes up, I took the liberty of selecting a few of my personal favorites. These recipes are less intimidating for the veggie newb, but they are different enough that you won't get bored or run out of meal ideas.

Breakfasts
Poached Eggs - this is comfort food in my book
Breakfast Wraps - Brandon can make these in 5 minutes flat

Breakfast Frittata - you can use any veggies that you have on hand in this one

Lunch
Babaganoush Soup - it's basically roast, boil, puree, eat.
Kale+Goat Cheese Pesto Pasta - goat cheese. Enough said.

Dinners
Vegetable Stew - ignore the bread bowl to keep it easy

Snacks/Desserts
Mesquite Chocolate Chip Cookies - bonus! these are vegan

What are your favorite easy veggie recipes?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...