Friday, November 18, 2011

The Great No-Poo Disaster

The word "no poo" should have raised some red flags for me from the get-go. Poo = generally a good thing. Let me count the ways:
  1. Poo gets rid of the waste in your body
  2. Poo can alleviate bloating
  3. Your poop is a window to any ailments you might have
  4. Different foods can turn your poo different colors (fun!)
  5. You need poo samples to find out if your dog has parasites
But, I digress. 

What I really wanted to talk about was shampoo.

I heard through the grapevine, that there is a new way to get back in touch with your inner hippie: No-Poo


No-Poo = No Shampoo.

Ok, so before your start rolling your eyes at me, let me explain. Lately, my hair has just been awful. Too dry and damaged after I wash it, but it quickly gets oily and gross. So the idea of not using shampoo seemed pretty appealing to me.

Instead of shampoo I used the following:
  • 1 tbsp baking soda mixed into about a cup of water
Instead of conditioner, I use:
  • 1 tbsp vinegar mixed into about a cup of water
{photocred:http://www.scienceforpreschoolers.com}

WARNING: If you are going to try this, you definitely don't want to mix the baking soda and vinegar together before you wash. It should be noted that the picture above came from a Science For Preschoolers website. Science experiments are not usually a good thing when it comes to your hair.

It's obviously not going to get all sudsy like shampoo does, but you have to make sure to scrub the baking soda mixture into the roots of your hair, while you work the vinegar mixture into the ends. Much like regular shampoo/conditioner. 

I did this for about two weeks and decided I had to put the kibosh on the whole thing.

At first I really liked it! It made my hair smell good (which was a surprise, given the use of vinegar) and it didn't dry it out. But even though I didn't "wash" my hair everyday, after about a week, the no-poo method made my hair really difficult to deal with. It felt like and oily, gritty, unmanageable mess. 

So now I'm back to regular shampoo and conditioner, but not everyday. I still shower everyday, mind you, but I keep my hair dry and only wash it every three days or so. I wash it when I notice it's getting oily. That is especially helpful since I shower at night and going to bed with a wet head is not conducive to work appropriate hair in the morning.

And that, my friends, is the story of the great No-Poo disaster.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...