Friday, November 11, 2011

What's in Season? Sweet Potatoes!


Welcome to the November edition of...

What's

           In

               Season!   

(If you could imagine those words flying in from off the screen to an announcer's voice a la The Price Is Right, that would be awesome)


This month, we're gonna talk sweet potatoes. Honestly, my little "what's in season" cheat sheet does not say that sweet taters are in season here right now, but I'm judging my what is available at the farmer's market...and I want some sweet potatoes!


I came across a recipe for sweet potato hummus that piqued my interested a few days ago and I really wanted to make it, but when I got home after yoga one I realized I didn't have a key hummus ingredient: tahini.


My brilliant housemate, Doug, suggested that I use peanut butter instead. A suggestion which I initially scoffed at, but after forcefully trying to make my blender blend 3 cups of hummus at once, I caved and tried the addition of peanut butter.


It was, in a word, divine.


Thanks Doug :) I miss you already.


Sweet Potato Hummus
adapted from My New Roots

Makes 3 cups

ingredients:
  • 2 cups chickpeas, cooked
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • salt, to taste
  • water - as much as you need to get it blended

directions:
  • Bake sweet potatoes (or nuke them, or boil them) until they’re cooked through. Let them cool and scoop the innards out into a food processor or blender
  • add the rest of the ingredients and blend until you get your desired consistency. Add water as necessary to aid in the blending process - or do it in batches.
NOTE: the measurements in this recipe are more of a guideline than a hard rule, just add the amount you want/need or what you think tastes good!


Alright guys, sound off about sweet taters! How do you use them? Tell me how by
  1. commenting! Tell me and other PL&B readers what you like to do with sweet potatoes
  2. posting a picture on the Peace, Love & Bagels facebook page of a dish you used sweet potatoes in
  3. mentioning @peaclovebagels in a tweet about how you use sweet potatoes
  4. adding a picture or discussion topic to the What's In Season? Flickr group
  5. leave a recipe in any of the above forums
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...