Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Clemenquat Salad


Here's a quick, easy and delicious salad that we had with our dinner the other night. Does it even come as a surprise that I got the recipe from Heidi Swanson's cookbook? Good, I didn't think so.

Clementines are in season right now and the last bunch we bought was the absolutely bursting with flavor and deliciousness. 

Kumquats are an interesting bunch. They're very sentimental for me because my uncle used to grow them in his backyard when I was little...and I never liked them! They were WAY too tart for me. As I've aged and my taste buds have come into their own, I realized that I absolutely love them. You can eat the entire thing, they are a citrus-y fruit with a sweet peel and tart innards. I got my at a local foods/health foods store, but I highly doubt you can grow them anywhere in northeast Ohio...they must have come from California or something.


Kumquats are little grape-sized balls of deliciousness.


Clemenquat Salad

from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking

Ingredients:

5 clementines, peeled with pieces separated
10-15 kumquats, sliced into disks
5 celery stalks, chopped
2 handfuls of walnuts



3juice of ½ lemon
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt + pepper to taste


Directions:

Mix the clementines, kumquats, celery and walnuts in a medium sized salad bowl. In another bowl whisk together lemon juice and olive oil, add desired amount of salt and pepper. Dress salad with dressing, garnish with fresh parmesan cheese and serve!


What is your favorite fruit to include in salads? Where do you get it from?

Peace, Love & Bagels, 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...