Friday, March 4, 2011

Bike MS: Pedal To The Point


So yesterday, I officially signed up to ride a two-day, 150-mile charity ride from Cleveland to Sandusky and back.

Crazy? Yep, I know. 

Initially, it began as just another way to test my body's boundaries, but the more I learn about MS and the more people I realize I know that are living with it everyday, the more important it has become for me to help raise both money and awareness for this disease. I am riding for those who can't.

This is directly from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society's website:

"Multiple sclerosis is understood to be an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system. This means a person’s own immune system attacks his/her brain and spinal cord. The nervous system is composed of nerve cells which send signals to each other via electrical messages. These signals are responsible for everything we do as humans, from movement to our higher consciousness...In MS, the immune system attacks and destroys the myelin sheath, causing difficulties with coordination, balance, and movement; fatigue; acute or chronic pain syndromes;and bladder and bowel difficulties."

Here's an illustration of what someone's neurons would look like if they're suffering from MS

As soon as I sent the email out to my family asking for donations, my aunt wrote back to me and one of my (second...or third...) cousins telling us that we were both participating in an MS awareness event. My cousin Judi has been living with MS since 1991 and has been participating in the MS walk in Belmar, New Jersey for the last twelve years or so. So, now it hits home even more. 

I'm riding 150 miles for Judi!!

So, in a shameless solicitation of my readers, I'm going to ask you all to help me reach my fundraising goal for this awesome event! Every rider has a mandatory $250 fundraising goal to reach - but I want to go above and beyond that! Since March is MS Awareness month [and because I absolutely love baking] I have a sweet proposition for you:

From today through the end of March, if you make a donation of at least $20, I will send you a batch of my mesquite chocolate chip cookies! (I will even make them vegan or gluten free if you have any special dietary needs)




Hmm, but don't judge me if you get them in a Christmas cookie bag. I still have a ton of those from the holidays!! Hahaha

Every donation goes to a great cause AND you'll be get cookies out of the deal?! Heck yes! But seriously, this is just my way to say thank you.

Are you working/walking/running/biking any charity events this year? Will it be your first?


Peace, Love & Bagels,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...